Monthly Archives: December 2013

Thumbnail pictures when sharing to LinkedIn and Facebook

The Problem

Sometime when you share a link on LinkedIn, it gives you something add for the choice of pictures to display to the left of the article.   That this job posting for example:

Capture

 The Background

LinkedIn and Facebook using Open Graph to decide which photos to use.   Open Graph lets web pages become meaningful objects that make it easy for other things to consume it.

A page implements Open Graph by adding a bunch of html tags in the header.   For example:

<meta property=”og:image” content=”http://ejbantz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/xend.png” />

 With the og:image meta tag there, LinkedIn now knows which image is appropriate for the page.

Capture2

LinkenIn still has some additional requirements that the image needs to meet in order to qualify to be displayed, like it needs to be at least 80×150 pixels.   Details can be found here:

https://developer.linkedin.com/documents/setting-display-tags-shares

More information about Open Graph can be found here:

http://ogp.me

 So if the page you are sharing does not have the images you would expect to see, check the page source to see if it has the og:image meta tags.

Custom Mendel90 X Ends with Zip Tie holes

The reprap Mendel90 is a great design, but there are a few things I wanted to change.  I’m in the process of building 12 of them and really need to stream line the assembly.

This post will cover the X-Ends that hold the motor, idler, and smooth rods.

  • The 45 degree wall with holes.
    • I found this to be difficult to print reliably.
    • Changed the holes to be tiny dimples.   You can see where the center of the hole should be and then just drill them out.
  • Walls wrap around the LM8UU linear bearings.
    • The build guide recommends to heat the part with a blow dryer to soften it, and then force them in.   This was pretty painful to do and does not work well when building many printers.   It doesn’t look good at all.
    • Removed the walls and added holes for tie straps.
    • Also added a bit more vertical space for the bearings.

The part also has some walls that used to mount ribbon cables and such.   I’m not using those in my build so I removed them to save on print time and questions about what they are for.

You can download the parts here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:185704

For more information about the group build we are doing visit this site:
http://www.centare.com/3dprinter

Pledge November

PledgeNovember.com was put together by my friend David Manske. It’s first year they raised over $1,800 for men’s cancer.  

Participants create an account and then post daily photos of the growth of their facial hair.

This was the first time I had grown out a beard.   It was a lot of fun

Check out my progression on the website. and was for a great cause.

EJ Bantz with a beard

 

3D Printer Camp 2013

I’m coordinating a group build of 3D Printers.

Participants pay $415 up front.  On the day of the event you receive all the parts, get help building the printer, and go home with a working 3D printer.   

The style of the printer is Mendel90.   But we are not strictly following their plan.   I’ve customized many of the parts, and skipped some of the things that I did not like.   For example, we aren’t going to use any those ribbon cables, and we are just going to hot glue the limit switches in place.

Here’s link to the event.